Saturday, July 22, 2006

Scotland Day 6: Turnberry



Greg was not the same man on the back nine...


The lighthouse at Turnberry reminds me of Harbor Town.


Me and my caddy Peter.

July 22, 2006

We traveled three hours from St Andrews to Turnberry last night, and checked into the Westin Turnberry Resort. It's a beautiful hotel perched on top of a cliff overlooking the golf course. Senor Dave had some miles he cashed in for us at Starwood, which was great.

My tummy was hurtin' in a big way all night long. We decided it was either the chicken/lamb kabab wrap or the milk from breakfast, but in any event I was a hurtin' puppy last night and this morning. I slept as long as I could and then dragged myself out to the course. A Snicker bar for breakfast and a coffee and I was on my way. Good thing I had Peter to caddy for me!

Turnberry Ailsa is going to be the venue for the 2009 The Open Championship. They are also having the Senior Tour Open Championship here ***next week***! So the course was in fine shape and the rough was high and penal. The greens were in fine shape and they actually seemed like they had been watered this year. They were the greenest greens I've seen so far, and I actually got a divot here today. The first one in six rounds!

For the HGT Scottish tournament, this was the first day of four courses comprising the "West Coast Swing". Turnberry did not fail to impress, as the tradition from the 1977 "Duel in the Sun" between Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson was written all over the course. It's a challenging links style course, which lots of penal bunkers, thick rough and protected greens. This is #2 so far on my list of favorites in Scotland, second only to St Andrews Old Course.

Quotes of the Day:
"You're not the man you were on the front nine." -Greg's caddy Richie, after Greg hit it all over the place on the back nine, said in a perfect Scottish accent.

"That one was an Abe Lincoln." "What's an Abe Lincoln?" "Your ball is history." -Conversation between Dave and his caddie Johnnie.

"Your ball's in the love grass" -Dean, Rob's caddy. "What's the love grass?" -Rob (ask Rob for explanation...)

Scores:
Ron: 84/71
Dave: 79/74
Greg: 91/73
Rob: 95/76

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home